When the company started in 1941 a member of the cast playing the piano provided the only music. Every hall had a piano. The National Anthem was sung at the end of every performance. According to the ability of the pianist, there would be an ‘overture’, sometimes music between the scenes and if the pianist wasn’t on stage, mood music at the beginning and end of each scene. The pianist also played for any ‘turn’ needing a musical accompaniment.
Around 1946 an amplifier, loudspeakers and a gramophone turntable were bought. A library of records was built up, consisting of music that could be played as the audience came in, and suitably dramatic music as a background to the action on the stage. A second turntable was added, allowing music to be mixed and cross-faded. The combined unit became what was known as a ‘panatrope’. Sound effects such as seagulls, howling wind and clock chimes were added, also the National Anthem. At that time, all public performances concluded with the singing of the ‘National Anthem’.